How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and letter summarizing their qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com.
The role of the small animal specialist is to help raise the poultry and rabbits we have for eggs and meat. We focus on humane treatment of animals to produce certified organic eggs and meat in an ethical fashion. This position will work closely with the farmer and the other animal husbandry specialist to provide daily care for our pastured chickens, ducks, and rabbits. This person will also assist with the harvesting of the animals for meat at our licensed on-farm facility. In addition to animal work, we expect this person to also work on other parts of our farm—irrigation management, planting, weeding, and harvesting of our annual vegetables, small fruit, and greenhouse crops. A successful person will be involved in all aspects of our diversified farm and will gain expertise in organic small livestock production as well as fruit, annual vegetables, and greenhouse crops.
Click here for a pdf of the job description
The start date for this position is March 1, 2017, and compensation is $19,700 per year. The Animal Husbandry position is salaried and the salary will be paid twice monthly. This position is full time (approximately 40 -50 hours per week, varying seasonally). The typical weekly schedule is Tuesday through Saturday.
- At least two years previous experience working in diversified organic agriculture
- Experience raising poultry and/or rabbits
- Willingness to cross-train and work in other areas on the farm such as mixed salad greens, greenhouse crops, and berries.
- Ability and willingness to operate high volume farmers market booth
- Clean driving record and valid drivers license
- Ability to organize tasks, prioritize activities, and meet outcomes independently
- Good record keeping skills and attention to detail
- Appreciation of farm financial needs and the importance of efficient and effective work
- Patience and ability to work well with diverse people under stressful conditions
- Flexibility and willingness to address unforeseen events and work needs
- Able to work effectively on physically demanding jobs for extended periods
- Able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- Dedication to sustainable farming lifestyle
- Desire to socialize and build a team spirit on the farm
- Daily care of the animals on the farm: feeding, watering, house cleaning, manure management, egg collection, observing.
- Manage breeding, birthing, and weaning of rabbits.
- Keep rabbit breeding and care records.
- Follow requirements of the organic farming system plan
- Move animals in the pasture system as needed
- Communicate regularly with farmer and Animal Husbandry Manager about health and care of animals.
- Communicate concerns, issues, problems, or possible changes proactively to the farmer and the team.
- Identify obstacles or problems beforehand and work with the Farmer and management team to resolve them.
- Clean and box eggs weekly
- Help with weekly animal harvesting; follow approved SOP for cleaning and sanitizing, actual cleaning of carcasses, bagging, and sanitizing. Animals slaughtered on farm are chickens, ducks, turkeys, and rabbits.
- Compost offal
- Follow requirements of the organic farming system plan and food safety guidelines
- Represent SpringRain Farm in a positive and professional manner in all interactions
- Work cooperatively and kindly with the farm team to accomplish our work
- Assist with other farm activities on a daily basis.
- Irrigation management, planting, weeding, and harvesting of our annual vegetables, berries, and greenhouse crops.
- Pruning, compost management, and everything else needed on a diversified organic farm.