How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and letter summarizing their qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are hiring a new Farm Sales Manager to help us farm the land we love. The role of the Sales Manager at SpringRain Farm is to market and sell our farm products through a variety of avenues including farmers markets, an email fresh sheet, restaurant and retail outlets, a food hub, and on-farm farm stand. Under the supervision of the farmer, the farm sales manager will work to increase the sales volume and income of the farm business while also assisting with farming activities. The sales manager will work closely with the farmer, farm manager, and marketing person to develop and implement daily, weekly, and seasonal activity plans and contribute toward making management decisions.
This is a year-round, full-time position, 40-50 hours a week, depending on the season. The schedule is Wednesday through Sunday. This is a salaried position, compensation is $21,000 per year plus bonuses for high market sales days. Benefits include access to products from the farm, as well as paid vacation time. Start date is negotiable between November 15 and January 1.
Click here for a pdf of the job description.
- Experience with retail and direct farm sales
- Experience with restaurant sales and farmers markets
- At least two years previous experience working in diversified organic agriculture
- Excellent communication skills, including smart phones, ipads, and laptop computers
- Savvy use of and expertise with social media outlets
- Able to multitask to complete sales activities while on farm
- Ability and willingness to operate high volume farmers market booths
- Clean driving record and valid drivers license
- Ability to organize tasks, prioritize activities, and meet outcomes independently
- Good record keeping skills and attention to detail
- Appreciation of farm financial needs and the importance of efficiency and effective marketing
- Patience and ability to work well with diverse people under stressful conditions
- Flexibility and willingness to address unforeseen events and work needs
- Able to work effectively on physically demanding jobs for extended periods
- Able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- Dedication to sustainable farming lifestyle
- Desire to socialize and build a team spirit on the farm
- Solicit and organize weekly wholesale (restaurant, web, grocery, food hub) orders
- Pack and organize wholesale orders for delivery (distributor and farm)
- Deliver orders
- Customer communication via phone, email, text, and at market
- Identify and develop new accounts
- Assist in organizing harvests for delivery to buyers and farmers markets.
- Independently sell at farmers markets on Sundays year round and Saturdays and Wednesdays seasonally.
- Monitor on-farm stand daily and ensure that it is stocked and clean
- Monitor market materials, displays, promotional materials, packaging, equipment to make sure they are organized, clean, attractive, and in good repair in advance of market days.
- Assist in training staff on best marketing practices, sales techniques, and presenting the best possible image of the farm.
- Evaluate competitors’ displays, quality, and price points and make recommendations or changes as warranted to increase sales and profitability.
- Ensure that the quality and saleability of products through proper grading, handling, and storage.
- Represent SpringRain Farm in a positive and professional manner in all interactions
- Work cooperatively and kindly with the farm team to accomplish our work
Weekly Management Planning:
- Meet with Farmer weekly to talk about next week’s goals and schedule.
- Communicate with Farmer and Farm Manager about weekly variation in available products for sale (e.g., big harvests of produce that need to be sold).
- Keep information organized so that it is easily accessible by yourself and others, as needed.
- Document activities on the farm calendar when accomplished.
- Communicate concerns, issues, problems, or possible changes proactively to the farmer and the team.
- Weekly planning meetings with Farmer and other team members.
- Report to the Farmer on a continuous basis about progress of tasks and time sensitive notes and observations
- Identify obstacles or problems beforehand and work with the Farmer and management team to resolve them.
- Assist with farm activities. This will include harvesting product, egg washing, post-harvest washing and packing, planting, and weeding.